The kids did well considering we didn't really study with them, and the lists were challenging for current grade levels never mind poor Jack and Kylie who were working off lists 2 grade levels ahead! I really liked having it at Janine's (no pressure for next year, Janine, I just liked having it at a home in relaxed environment). I also like having it a week before the talent show to grease the wheels so to speak, get the kids comfortable standing up in front of people competing/reciting to prep them for a slightly more formal venue next week.
What we loosely decided would make next year work even better:
Generate spelling bee list/source at August's meeting so we have all year to sneak in the words a few at a time for practice etc.
Have a Spelling Bee Party a couple of weeks ahead of time where the kids can view real spelling bee's in action so they (we) know the format (I love this idea).
Hang a poster board with the process written out: State word, spell, restate word signifying end of turn. etc. I guess it wouldn't hurt for we mothers to get a set of "leader instructions" and read them over before hand too.
Does anyone else remember what we loosely discussed? Caroline knows about a spelling computer game???? I was on the peripheri of that conversation and didn't get the details but that would a good resource for those who are interested.
Any other ideas?
THANKS JANINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for the re-cap Stacy!! It all looks great! Janine, we had such a great time!! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteThanks Stacy for the recap and thanks to you Janine for hosting. We had a fun time.
ReplyDelete