Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Highs and Lows

Hi All--Lisa has fielded a few distressed phone calls in the past 24 hours.  John and I periodically hit a major WALL with Thalia's education in general--Math in particular.  They symptoms are an irrational refusal not only to do the work, but to learn any new concepts  or recall any concepts that she has used since 4th grade.  Prepare yourselves!!  Once hormones begin, the brain shuts down--really!!

But, on the bright side, we are keeping in mind (and in heart) that we are trying for a full person education, mind and soul.  So the intellect is not necessarily primary, especially not now.  (Probably saying that if she can't do 7th grade math she won't go to college was not too inspired--oh well).

Last night I did a bunch of online reading about the unmotivated child.  I gained the perspective the seemingly unmotivated child is actually very motivated....to resist  whatever you are asking them to do.  One article pinpointed the root of the problem as being a lack of empathy, or a lack of problem solving skills.  I think there is a bit of both, but mostly the problem solving part with Thalia.

This morning I did research about math in particular.  Found a couple of great websites--one is a fee online math program which we might use next year (what was  saying about not wanting screen time...).  And one (from which I got that first link) is a site with lots of information on how to teach math.  I actually found this site when searching for Catholic writing Prompts, as per Caroline's comment below.  There are some great suggestions for math journals which I want to implement for my kids....next year--don't want to rock the boat too much with 8 days to go!!

So I guess I won't send her to the public school today after all.....thanks for your prayers--looking forward to the extra grace of Ascension Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment