Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Suspicion Confirmed

Abbey (4) to me while struggling to put on her tights (studying my face):"When you smile it makes me want to do stuff."

"Oh, and when I don't smile?"

"It makes me not want to do stuff."

Me: :)

I began consciously trying to smile more not long ago because I saw the effect it had on the will of my children. This is my daily prayer and struggle to offer a smile with every request, every command, every criticism, every compliment. Scripture says it sweetens the deal and if that weren't enough to convince me a little child shall instruct me. Try it today and see if you get more cooperation from your little, and not so little, kids.

9 comments:

  1. we got a cute little book about courtesy from Pauline--there is a story that re-counts the Nun who first put the book together and how she knew EVERYTHING at the girls school where she taught, but was always encouraging. One day she saw a certain girl in the hall and said to her, "You top draw could use some work. You do have lovely posture."
    HAHAHAHA!
    Here's to offering 2 compliments for every one correction.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, when you smile it makes me want to smile too. But as far as doing stuff, it mostly makes me want to drink more tea with you and talk more and make our kids do more stuff ...far away.... NICE SMILE!

    Al, I thought it was 5 pos/1neg Oh-man, you have been getting off easy! Also, they teach the sandwich method in management seminars.
    Pos/neg/pos makes it easier to swallow.

    I will try to smile and say postivie and encouraging things to my kids. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THATS what I'm doing wrong! Actually, sometimes my night stress is from the strain of smiling and encouraging so much when what I really want to do is strangle and throttle. Ah, motherhood. I love what Abbey said. So succint and SO accurate. Kids really do have it well mapped out in their heads.

    Have a great snow day. Hope to see you all in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My morning prayers, which I have copied from the back of "Holiness for Housewives" include the "prayer in time of exasperation." It gives me a little smile during the peace and quiet of the early morning to think that this prayer speaks to me even then!

    Prayer in time of exasperation
    Lord, my interruptions are almost more than I can bear. Give me patience. Help me to suppress my irritation for Your sake. Help me to see this provocation as being sent by You for the perfecting of my soul. If I do not let it act for my good, it will inevitably act the other way. Lord, let the surface of my soul be calm, so that it may reflect Your image and Your will. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOH!I am copying this in large print!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the smile lesson and the prayer of exasperation......I definitely will give that one some good use. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Allison,

    That prayer is getting posted my fridge, that is if I can ever get to staples to get a new printer cartridge.

    ReplyDelete