Friday, August 24, 2012

Hi Ladies,

Glad to see the blog running again, or more accurately put, glad to see people communicating on the blog!

I will put a shout out to the Saint John's crew for soccer to beef up our numbers. It will pretty much just be my sister (who is homeschooling her 5 y/o this year and considering more and more homeschooling her boys-we'll see) and then the Homan boys whom you've all met.

I will also organize a State Museum guided tour that comes with a scavanger hunt built in and we can pick a couple of hands on activities to do again as well. Any opinion as to whether you'd like a fall or spring visit?

Digby has also offered to do a little workshop on working in wax. He'd pass out wax to the kids to take home and they can fashion a cross and put the corpus on if they want; he'd cast them all out and then the kids could come back to watch them be patinad (the process of when the color is applied to the bronze. It involves chemicals and heat and is a good "science meets art" excercise. I'd be happy to explain the chemistry of it.)

He wants to keep a cross because it will be simple (and therefore inexpensive) for him to gate and vent, apply the ceramic shell and all the rest of it. It would actually be a great beginning excercise and over the years the kids could make more creative sculptures. We could arrange this to coordinate with the lenten season of our liturgical calender. Any takers? No cost.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Stacy for organizing the Maine State Museum fieldtrip. Are you sure there's built in scavenger hunt? If not, I can organize that piece.
    Would love to partake of Digby's foundry activity. That makes three O'Briens if you think it's age-appropriate for Finian. Sounds like the lenten season would be a really appropriate time to do this.
    Re: Soccer, if the group is not really formal, Lambert field is open daily until 4. I told her that it was very informal, just going to kick around a ball. If it was a formal group, i.e., ASP team, then we'd need to fill out an insurance rider on the form. Perhaps that's in our future, but I got the sense that it was just an opportunity to sweat and have fun and that it did not merit government bureaucracy. I'll let you make that call. I underplayed it, so as not to commit ourselves to the redtape. Caroline aka anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacy,
    Jack would be really interested in the lost wax art project - very cool!Thanks for offering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds absolutely amazing--and so generous of you and Digby! We are in!

    ReplyDelete